Warning: Excessive use of the word “avocado” ahead. I regret nothing lalala ♪
I’m so glad my whole family loves avocado. I’m hoping my future husband will be an avocado lover too, so that I can
pamper myself woo him with all sorts of avocado-themed goodies. Did I just use the word woo? Woooo. Happy Halloween btw!
Being a bunch of avocado monsters, we never fail to check out the avocado section whenever we go grocery shopping. Unfortunately, avocadoes are generally quite expensive in Malaysia as they tend to be imported from Australia and South Africa.
Thankfully, we discovered that our local hypermarket stocks South African avocadoes of decent size and creamy texture from time to time, and occasionally cheaper compared to the Australian ones found in other supermarkets. However such sweet deals don’t come by every day, so we prefer to wait patiently for these green gems to be on sale.
Last weekend, the long anticipated sale finally happened and we gleefully bagged 10 avocadoes home.
We have been indulging in mango avocado salad all week long, and I’m also planning to treat myself with some avocado toast during the weekend. Not to mention my 6-month old baby nephew is officially the newest and youngest avocado monster in the family (He really loves pureed avocado).
These avocado cream cheese muffins are soft, fluffy and rich due to the avocado and butter combination. I’m planning to make a savoury version next time, and if possible, gluten-free too.
Enjoy ٩( ̆ 3 ̆)۶♥
“Avocado Cream Cheese Muffins”
*This recipe yields 10 muffins.
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup fresh milk
50 g unsalted butter
50 g cream cheese
½ cup molasses (sugar)
1 ½ cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170ºC or 325ºF and fill a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter, molasses, and salt together until the mixture is smooth, creamy and light.
- Add egg into the butter mixture in 3-4 parts, and continue beating until well combined.
- Peel and slice the avocado into two halves. Mash the first half with a fork. For the second half, slice the avocado into small cubes, roughly 1 cm, and set aside in a small bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over the avocado cubes to prevent the avocado from oxidising too quickly.
- Add the mashed avocado, cream cheese and milk into the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Whisk the cake flour and baking powder together in a bowl and fold into the butter mixture, just until incorporated.
- Carefully scoop the batter evenly into the cupcake liners, and top with the avocado cubes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (varies depending on your oven). At the 20-min mark, test the muffins using a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, your muffins are ready.
- Place muffins on a metal rack to cool. Tuck in while it’s still warm!
Note: I don’t recommend this because I’m too much of a health freak, but if you want your muffins to have a beautiful shade of green, use white sugar so that the muffins retain natural colouring from the avocado. Mine ended up golden brown because I used dark molasses, but it tasted just as good, if not better.
Since I love you all and it’s Friday, here’s a bonus recipe. Now, what’s more heavenly than avocado muffins? The Best Couple Award goes to…
Avocado muffins with a CREAMY AVOCADO SMOOTHIE !
“Honey Avocado Smoothie”
1 cup milk (or any dairy-free milk)
1 tbsp honey
10 ice cubes
Blend all the ingredients together. If the smoothie is too thick, add more ice cubes or water until desired consistency is achieved.
Till then, avocado warriors. Have an amazing weekend x